Into The Wild

“I'm going to paraphrase Thoreau here... rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth. ” -Into The Wild

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Oomienoomies!

I have had a growing fondness of cooking; it yields such an accomplished feeling and is actually really fun. In the last couple months, I have found some delicious looking recipes on Pinterest and have been writing them down on note cards to collect in a little recipe box. I am going to share two recipes that I decided to try out today!


Crock Pot Mac n' Cheese 

  • 1 (16 oz.) pkg. macaroni
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 (13 oz.) can evaporated milk
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
Grease bottom and sides of 3 1/2 to 5-quart crockpot. Toss uncooked macaroni in slow cooker with the vegetable oil then add all remaining ingredients. Stir gently to combine then cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally.


** I used about 4.5 cups of cheese and added a can of creamy cheese soup. I also stirred it very frequently and added a splash of milk every time to keep it creamy. I bumped up the heat to high for about 20 minutes, stirred about every 5 and added milk as needed. Then I turned the heat to low for about 2 hours, stirred frequently and added milk as needed (of course I taste tested it several times!). Once it tasted delish, I turned the cooker off and kept the lid on. Here is a link to the recipe; this paragraph includes the changes I made.

It turned out SO delicious!

Avocado Eggrolls with Sweet Cilantro Sauce

These are the eggrolls before being baked.
Egg Rolls

1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, & diced
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onions
1/2 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1 dash salt
4 egg roll wraps (can also use won ton wraps)
1 egg, beaten
Oil for deep-frying

Dipping Sauce

1/4 cup olive oil
Sweet cilantro sauce. MMM.
4 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup honey (I use slightly less)
1 pinch turmeric
1/2 cup chopped cashews
2/3 cup fresh cilantro
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin 

** This is the recipe. You will see what items I decided to leave out due to taste conflicts, but really you can add whatever you like. I just mixed everything for the eggrolls together in one bowl and everything for the sauce together in another bowl. The eggroll wrapper will show you how to wrap them (it's not hard), and I baked them at 400 degrees for 12 minutes on a slightly greased cookie sheet.

Let me know if you guys try these out. They both turned out amazing for me!


2 comments: