Into The Wild

“I'm going to paraphrase Thoreau here... rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth. ” -Into The Wild

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Noob

Cheers to my first post! I'm not sure what I should blog about right now; I guess I can tell ya'll what's going on at school so far? Yeah, I'll do that.

As I said in my "biography", I'm studying environmental studies at UT. I haven't really participated in anything yet, like clubs and stuff. I just don't have time for that, you know? Last year I took a service learning class that focused on enhancing leadership skills, thought it sounded cool so I signed up for it. For spring break, 20 of us went to NYC and 10 went to Washington DC to volunteer at various places in the city. Basically, it was absolutely amazing; I made so many friends, I even got super close with the instructors. The volunteer experiences were phenomenal; we volunteered at 2 soup kitchens, a clothing bank, and a daycare, all were located in 4 of the 5 boroughs. Like I said, amazing.

Anyway, other than that I haven't really done anything "extracurricular". Currently, I'm working on undergrad research with Dr. Jorgensen, who is a very well-known chemistry professor who has done a plethora of research on climate change. He gives lectures all around the country and is a member of several organizations and foundations that address climate change. Our project is extensively researching a specific topic having to do with the effects of climate change, like disease from water pollution (another girl is researching this), with the goal of either writing a scholarly article or designing an educational tool (like an interactive game, a syllabus, or something like that) and then getting it published on the websites that we're using, CAMEL and Encyclopaedia of Earth (EOE), of which he is the associate-editor of. Like I said, this man is VERY knowledgeable on the subject of climate change, he's a chemistry professor. At first I wanted to research food security, since that's a very relevant issue in our current worldly society. I wrote a 10 page paper for my environmental ethics class on this issue, but that was more about the effects of over-population on the climate, which in turn has an effect on food security. Dr. J wants us to research the direct effects of climate change on a certain aspect of the world. Plus I couldn't really find enough articles on food security that directly pertained with climate change that would enable me to write at least a 10 page paper. Now I'm researching ocean acidification. It's very complex, with all of the heavy chemistry involved, but I think that'll be a good thing for the sake of my paper. This is for one credit, so it's essential that I fulfill Dr. J's expectations and requirements. If you have any pointers that you'd like to shoot my way, that'd be great!

As for the rest of my classes, I'm taking ecology/lab, intro to environmental studies, computer apps for environmental science, and world history from 1500. I'm really enjoying all of them so far, especially since I've been able to better manage my time with studying and all that jazz. Have you ever had a professor/teacher that you find super attractive and, well, sexy? Yeah, that's my environmental studies professor. I won't go on a tangent about him 'cause that'll just make me sound like a creeper (tehe), but you get the idear.

Alrighty, I think that's it for now. How did I do? I hope this is a good intro to what my future blogs will be like. I won't blog just about what's going on with my classes, I'll try to give some advice about how I deal with all the stresses of juggling work, school, friends, n' all that too. I'll also try to blog about a range of things and post links and pictures. Speaking of links, here are the links to those websites we're using for our research project. Check them out, forreal. They're very easy to navigate and they're very educational. CAMEL: www.camelclimatechange.org

and EOE: www.eoearth.org

Thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment