Into The Wild

“I'm going to paraphrase Thoreau here... rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth. ” -Into The Wild

Monday, October 1, 2012

Craftsies

This past Summer really kick started my crafting obsession. Several nights of Pinteresting resulted in intense crafting; we both still use everything that we made! I'm going to share a few with you guys in hopes that you try and love them as much as I do!


Pretty Binders

These were so fun to make and cost about $20 for three binders and all of the fabric. Here is the link with the original directions with step-by-step pictures, and here is the shortened version:

  • I used a 1/2 yard of canvas fabric for each of the three 1 1/2 inch binders. There was strips left over so I saved them just in case I wanted to use them again. 
  • Open the binder, lay flat on the fabric, and cut so that there is 1/2-1 inch to fold over the binder.
  • Cut the corners so that there isn't a bulge when the corners are folded over. 
  • This part sounds confusing, but it's really easy. Close the front flap of the binder, hot glue the fabric to the flap, and then close to glue the folds down. Next, glue the spine. Lastly, close the back flap and glue it.
  • Rub the fabric so that it's even and flat.
  • This part is optional, if the binder has pockets then this can be skipped: cut an additional piece of fabric to cover the exposed binder. 
Finished products! The step-by-step pictures look perfect, but believe me the insides of mine are far from it ;)



Magnet Board

I don't have a picture of this one yet, but I will once I get home. This one was super easy and is super useful!

  • Go to the Dollar Store and get a standard size cookie sheet; it can be flat or have edges (mine has edges). 
  • Buy a small can of spray paint in your choice of color, I used plum purple. 
  • Evenly spray paint the front of the cookie sheet, I didn't paint the back. 
  • Hot glue a ribbon to the back in a loop so that it will hang.
  • I glued some marbles on it to add some bling.
  • Put a thumb tack in the wall and hang! 
  • I also got a pack of magnets from the Dollar Store too!  
I already had the marbles, ribbon, and spraypaint, so this project cost me $2 and took about 5 minutes!

Colorful Desk
  
My neighbor came over one day and asked if I wanted her daughter's old desk. After I took some measurements and realized it would fit perfectly in my room, her husband helped me carry it over. The next day I began spray painting! Thankfully the desk was free because I spent upwards to $50-$60 on spray paint, then again the desk was the cheap lacquered wood and I skipped all of the sanding. The project was time consuming and tedious, but the end result is so worth it.
  • I did this in our garage with a giant sheet on the floor.
  • I used a medium sandpaper brick and sanded the top so that it was smooth.
  • Wipe the surface down with a damp cloth, then a dry one. 
  • Spray painting is actually a little harder than you may think. Hopefully I can effectively explain how: spray along the grooves in the wood in short, wispy strokes. If you hold the can in one spot for even a second too long the paint can start to drip and streak. 
  • Do the above process with primer first and then the color. The primer allows the color to better soak into the wood, especially if the wood has a glossy finish.
  • Wait about 10 minutes in between coats. 
  • Spray paint the entire desk in a pattern that you think is best. 
  • Wait 24 hours for the paint to completely dry. Touch up as you deem necessary. 
  • I didn't paint the back since it sits up against the wall. 
It's PERFECT! I love it. 

 Here is a Pinterest board all about painting furniture if you need more details.


Mason Jars
  • If you have some mason jars lying around, like a lot of people that I know, then this project is perfect!  
  • Choose any jar that you like. Use acrylic paint, this is most durable on glass. I used FolkArt acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby.
  • Wash the jar(s) with warm soapy water.
  • Add just enough water to make the paint a little more liquidy so that it better swirls around the inside of the jar. 
  • Lay some newspaper on the floor, or wherever you're working, to prevent a big mess.
  • Squirt some paint on the bottom of the jar, enough so you will be able to turn the jar on its side and rotate to evenly spread the paint. 
  • If your jar is larger, like the blue one that I made, you can use a sponge brush or a large paint brush to spread the paint on the sides to avoid streaking.
  • Use as much paint as you deem necessary. I definitely overcompensated, but both jars turned out awesome. 
  • Turn the jar(s) upside down and set on the newspaper to prevent pooling of the paint in the bottom.
  • Glue some jewels or other bling to your jars for some extra pop!
I used a brush to spread the paint in the blue jar. For the yellow jar, I just kept rotating to spread the paint.

Here is the blog that I found on Pinterest with a more detailed tutorial, but the process is pretty self explanatory.

I hope you all find these craft projects as fun as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment