Into The Wild

“I'm going to paraphrase Thoreau here... rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth. ” -Into The Wild

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Bunbuns

Some of you may know about my precious bunny, Floyd. I got him at the Pemberville Fair back in August. First, I tried to win a baby bun at a ring toss game, but failed after spending $8. The girl even gave me 10 extra rings! Then I went to check out the show tent and found one that said "For sale $5 male lop buck 6 months" and thought he was the cutest thing ever. So I called the owner and set up to get him the last day of fair. Honestly, I didn't think the overhead costs would be much, but trust me, they were pretty hefty.


Here is a list of things from Petco that I first bought for Floyd, and how to use each item:


1) Aspen wood shavings for bedding - don't use hardwood shavings, as they can irritate your bun's respiratory tract and are hard and scratchy. 




This cost me $14. Floyd doesn't like a lot of bedding, so after two months I have a little over half left.
2) Carefresh soft bedding. I sprinkle just a couple hand fulls so Floyd has something soft to lay on. He usually just mixes it up with the shavings, so I only bought this once.
I got the plain white, which was the cheapest at $7.49


3) A corner litter box. At first Floyd didn't use his litter box, but when I noticed he was mostly going in the corner across from the box, I moved it and now he uses it regularly! It's easier to litter train a rabbit than a cat! Buns like to lounge and sometimes eat in their litter boxes, so clean it every 2-3 days




I got the blue one. Depending on the size of your cage, you can get one the size of a kitty box or like the purple on in the picture.







 
4) Pine pellets for litter. I put about an inch of it in the litter box with a hand full of shavings so it's soft enough for him to sit in.



A 40 pound bag is $5 at Tractor Supply Co. Lasts forever since I only use it for the litter box.




5) Timothy Hay. It's essential for a properly balanced diet, as it is the best source of indigestible fiber. Bun's can't pass gas, so the fiber ensures that everything is moving through the correct path.




I buy the Meijer brand since it's only $5. Hay is hay, so I'm not too concerned with the brand. You can also buy hay with carrots, cranberries, marigolds, or mint.








6) Pellets. They provide all of the essential nutrients that aren't provided by the veggies. I know that pellets can get pretty expensive, but I recommend buying the best brand that your budget can buy; Floyd doesn't like cheap pellets like Meijer brand, so I basically have to spend more to get him to eat them. Since everything else is relatively cheap, I don't mind spending some extra money for pellets that he loves. A midsize adult bunny (older than 6 months) should only eat 1/4 cup per day IF he eats lots of veggies too.


Floyd LOVES these. They smell like chocolate, but also cost upwards towards $20 for a 5 pound bag.

Floyd also likes these. These cost about $13 instead of $20.
7) A cage. The cage should be big enough for your bun to lay down and hop around a little. There should be enough room for the litter box, water, food, and toys. Thankfully my friend Katey still had a cage and water bottle from her bunnies. Saved me about $65.

I have this cage in green. I think Katey paid $50.

I have a grey bowl for pellets. You can buy a bin feeder for hay, but I use cardboard egg cartons. This way, Floyd can also eat/play with it!

Katey gave me a large size one with bunnies and carrots on it. I saw one at Petco for $8.99
8)Toys! Bunnies need mental stimulation to prevent boredom, which can lead to chewing on things he/she shouldn't chew on. Along with the toys below, Floyd likes cardboard and newspaper, but you can try any toy with your bun.

$3.99 with Petco rewards card. Originally $5.99.

$2.99

2.99

Apple wood chew sticks. $3.99 for a 6 pack.

Sea salt rock for licking. $2.99

$3.99

9) Veggies. A diverse vegetable diet provides the essential nutrients for good health. Fruits are good too, but in moderation. Floyd likes escarole, kale, arugula, parsley, basil, endive, cabbage, leaf lettuce, broccoli leaves/stems, kohlrabi leaves, spinach, brussel sprouts, mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, carrots, apples, melon, and much more. The link I'll post at the end will give a detailed list of what and what not to feed your rabbit.

10) Playpen. I don't think this is necessary, especially because they cost upward toward $30. You can buy fencing and make a round one, or let your bun roam around the house or garage if you trust him/her. Floyd loves running around the garage for hours at a time, and he gets along with my dogs wonderfully, so it's not a problem. It is necessary that your rabbit gets at least 30 minutes of exercise a day.

Being a rabbit owner really isn't as much work as people think or say. He/she will love you as much as you love him/her. Advice: read up on the proper care. They have specific dietary needs, so make sure you know what to feed your rabbit. I got all of my information from House Rabbit Society. Hope this blog helps!



Song of the day:

No comments:

Post a Comment