Into The Wild

“I'm going to paraphrase Thoreau here... rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth. ” -Into The Wild

Sunday, November 18, 2012

How To Be A Successful Christmas Shopper

Whew, it sure has been a while since I've blogged. I didn't know how much working in a busy retail store can tire you out, especially around this time of year! Thanksgiving is only a few days away, which means Black Friday is too, which also means lots of shopping and Christmas in another month. Holy cow, time flies.

We all know how fun (and stressful and expensive) Christmas shopping can be; who doesn't want to get your friends/family the perfect gift? Over the years, I have learned how to cut my Christmas spending while still feeling good about the gifts. I'm going to share some tips that I have picked up from my Mom and some friends about how to do just that: get that perfect gift without spending a fortune!


  • Only buy for close friends and select family members. For friends, I buy for my boyfriend Jack, Carli, and Katey since they're my closest. For family, I buy for my Mom, sister, Dad, and Grandma. My extended family does a white elephant gift exchange at my Grandma's house, where we all bring one gift that is around $20. It's really fun. For my cousins and Aunt T, we choose who we want to buy for since it's only the 6 of us; we try to spend no more than $25. 
  • This one ties into the first: know who you're buying for. If you're shopping for your best friend or significant other, you should know what they're interested in. Same for immediate family. For example, I know that Carli really likes owls and stuff for her apartment, and Katey likes old-style things, so that's what I look for. If you don' t know what to get a family member, like a little sister or brother, look through their room (secretly of course!) and see what they need. Or take mental notes of what they say they want when looking online or walking through the store. I know that Jack can always use more underwear and socks, and he likes stuff to help him keep organized. Usually, parents like things that help them relax, not home stuff that make them feel like they have to use it (like a vacuum, but coffee makers are great!)
  • Plan ahead. This is huge, it prevents you from walking around the store (or multiple stores) for hours looking for a gift. Since I work at Kohl's, I was able to look around and take mental notes while working and then compile a list of all the things that I can get there to get my discount. It's not even Thanksgiving and I have 90% of my shopping done already!
  • Compare prices. Since Kohl's has basically everything, I have a lot of options. Some of their stuff can also be more expensive than similar items at Meijer or Walmart just because of the brand. For example, my Dad wanted a set of serving spoons for his birthday, so I found a Bobby Flay set at Kohl's for $14, but I got the same ones (Oneida brand, which is still good quality) for $9 at Meijer.
  • Keep an eye out for good sales if you don't want to risk your life on Black Friday.  Stores can have some pretty rad clearance items.
  • If you can, make something! Hand-made items are from the heart and are usually always cherished.
  • Last but not least, don't over-buy. It can be hard to limit yourself if you find a bunch of items that you just know your friend/family member/significant other will love, but that could make the other person feel as if they should have gotten you more stuff, and no one wants that. If you know their interests, try to find one or two larger/not clearance items, or several small items. I do both, depending on the person it's for. I must say that I'm a pretty good gift giver regardless of how big or small or cheap, and it's ALWAYS fun! 

These tips have really helped me this year, so I hope they help you guys too! Have fun shopping for your loved ones, and for those of you who participate, GOOD LUCK on Black Friday! Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment